Friday, October 15, 2010

"Newish Release Friday"

Iron Man 2

 

MARY: Last week Iron Man 2  was released to Redbox and we were very excited for a new action movie, since that's about all I can get my husband excited about. We liked the first one enough and Robert Downey Jr. has always been enjoyable to me to watch.


This one was alright, I could really take it or leave it. Robert Downey plays the snarky Tony Stark with perfect arrogance. Almost too perfect, because at times it's hard to watch, he's such a jerk and there are very few redeeming qualities about him. You want to be able to root for him and in all of these comic book films that's a driving element to their success, but with Stark I find myself rooting against him.

I really very much enjoy comic book movies especially ones with the element of mystery and trying to figure out some puzzle; whether about the hero himself or how to solve whatever problem the villain has set forth. The missed out on this whole element. The most intriguing part of the movie was figuring out a message his father had left him and it was virtually skipped over just to get to the next scene. Could have been the real core of the film and made it more than just an action flick but it never amounted to anything.

If you like these movies, it's enjoyable enough. If you're on the fence, don't bother.