Tuesday, October 19, 2010

about watching scary movies with my Dad

MARY: Last week my Dad wrote about parental guidelines on viewing scary films.  I find it interesting that he gave no insight into what he would do to us when watching these movies, and I, before leaving this Halloween theme we have going,  feel it only right to share.

As you may have picked up, watching movies was a family gathering in our house growing up.  All 8 of us would gather in one room sitting side by side, 2 on the floor and watch whatever Dad had picked out.  Every time, every single time, we watched anything scary he would only build on that scare.  He would wait and wait until you could feel the music pulsing in your chest the bad guy was just around the corner, he's about to get you and...AHHH!...you got a kick in the back or a shake of the shoulder.  After you screamed out loud there was a quick, "Mary, be quiet we're trying to watch the movie."

I really don't think he could control it, it was just a reflex; "scary scene, I must make them jump." Of course, I only know this because I can't help but do it to my own kids.

MICKEY: . . . but, you almost make it sound like it was a bad thing!? 

MARY: Only bad because I always ended up sitting next to you.  

MICKEY: . . . again, you almost make it sound like it was a bad thing!?