Monday, September 6, 2010

Top Ten Monday

It's Monday, that means it's time for a Top Ten list.  We figured there was no better way to start then an All Time Top Ten.  What so you think of our lists?  What does yours look like? 

Love lists?  Be sure to check back every Monday for a new list of our tops.


      Mickey's Top Ten                                              Mary's Top Ten
     All Time Favorites                                        All Time Favorites                

  1. A Tale Of Two Cities                        1. Rebecca
  2. Mysterious Island                            2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  3. Taxi Driver                                            3. Planet of the Apes
  4. Rebecca                                                    4. Arsenic and Old Lace
  5. Catch 22                                                  5. To Kill a Mockingbird
  6. Horse Feathers                                   6. Midnight Run
  7. The Talk Of The Town                  7. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  8. Brazil                                                         8. The Sting
  9. To Kill A Mockingbird                   9. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
10. This Island Earth                            10. The Breakfast Club



 
MICKEY: I think most of your brothers and sisters would say that Rebecca was instrumental in their not being hesitant to watch old B&W films with dad. Hitchcock's first American film and Best Picture Oscar winner, yet many who know Psycho or The Birds, or even Rear Window or North By Northwest don't know about Rebecca!?
I was happy to see all your picks, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Arsenic And Old Lace, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Mr.Smith Goes To Washington (it bothered me not having a Capra film on my list - or a Cagney film, or a Curtiz film, etc, but there's only 10 spots, so . . . ), etc, but I was particularly delighted to see Planet Of the Apes and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen on your list . . . an important film gigantically influencing the biggest hits today, and a beautiful film and family favorite.

Of course, I would have put The Big Chill in-place of The Breakfast Club, but I like that too and, even though good is good and "classic" means standing the test of time, I suppose there is a bit of a generational thing - I love your list.
~ love, dad
 
MARY: Ask me again and I bet my list will change. I'm excited to do more specific lists. An All-Time Tops list is really hard for me because there are so many films that I like for so many different reasons. I tried to think about the 10 I would take to a desert island and watch over and over and still feel a part of humanity. I could just as easily take your list with me, although I think if stranded Catch-22 and Brazil may make me lose my mind. And Mysterious Island would have me looking over my shoulder in a constant panic but, it is one of my favs none the less.

I do think The Breakfast Club is my generations film of the times. I went back and forth or whether to include but ultimately had to. I think it gets tossed into the mix of "Brat Pack" teen angst movies of the 80's but it's so much more special. The writing is so meaningful and the characters relatable; I know every one of those kids x10. Plus it's just a joy to watch.