Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mary's Thoughts

Differing Tastes

MARY: When I went to college I landed a roommate that, as much as I love her, was the most frustrating person for me to live with.  We had very little in common and topping those list of differences was our taste in music and movies.  Leaving the comfort of my home that was filled with an audience of similar tastes it was a complete and total shock to find myself with so much the opposite. 


To me music and movies are such a part of me and who I am that I couldn't even understand someone for real having Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing as their favorites.  I cannot not convey enough how much I just didn't get it, and even thought how can I have some kind of deep and meaningful relationship with this person.  Thankfully she was patient and tolerant of my ignorance to a whole other side of society that I hadn't been exposed to. 


In general it's hard to understand why some people like one thing and others don't.   As my relationship with my roommate grew so did our understanding of each other and I know exactly why she likes those movies and it makes her all that more endearing of a person.



MICKEY: Your mom eats cold brussels sprouts out of the can - standing over the sink, plucking them out of a can, one after another, saying "mmmmm"!? You couldn't sauté them in enough olive oil, garlic, and wine to make me go near them, yet your mother is the most wonderful person on this planet. And - was it you or one of your sisters who brought brussles sprouts to a recent gathering that were delicious . . . they tasted like roasted artichoke hearts. So you never know why some have the taste in things they do or what we may in fact be wrong about. There's really only one thing we can be absolutely sure about - Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing are evil contrivances that steal your soul and poison your heart.