Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Newish Release Friday

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: 
The Lightning Thief

MARY: I was so excited to get to the beach this week because I knew it would exhaust the kids enough that I would be able to watch a few movies in absolute peace.  I was even more excited when I realized that Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief was just released to video.

Basically Percy Jackson is the mythological version of Harry Potter, which to me already is more intriguing, I'll take mythology over wizardry every time.  Plus it's directed by Chris Columbus (Harry Potter 1&2, Home Alone, and one of my favs Adventures in Babysitting).

Percy's charmed life begins to reveal itself and then he is forced to go face to face with many of the legendary figures of mythology.  He's suspected of stealing Zeus' lightning bolt which if not returned in 10 days will start a war among the gods.

A great premise, unfortunately it fell flat.  I was left wanting so much more.  When you're dealing with mythology it needs to be so much larger than life, as was so stunningly portrayed in Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts. I felt I was always waiting for the a ha! moment.  The story was there it just never came together.  I'm hoping the follow up films will help build up the story.  The problem with these blockbuster films based on popular tween novels is that the movie makers are so concerned about not disappointing the readers, who are avidly watching for their favorite parts in the book, that they disappoint the viewer who has not read the books and is left viewing a segmented movie.
 


 
MICKEY: When you say "mythology over wizardry every time" I am right there with you . . . even in video games I avoid the games and characters that are all about casting spells and sorcerers but am drawn to cyclopes and heroes. Some might suggest there is no real distinction to be made here, and indeed I could have easily included The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad and Excalibur in my Top Ten Favorites list - but the sorcerer in Sinbad serves as the villain in what is easily a hero tale, the Arthurian legend (with Merlin, Morgana, and Camelot, etc) is a mythos and filled with heroes. 

As for Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, I might look at bits of it when it's broadcast on TV, but don't think I'll I need to rent it. What thoroughly delights me about your review is your announced esteem for Ray Harryhausen . . . an appreciation I always thrill to see my children own and express.

. . . so, how was the beach?                                              ~ love, dad  




MARY: The beach was great! I love those moments of absolute joy, sitting back, taking in my wonderful family and how lucky I am. And the kids couldn't be happier to have complete freedom!

I'm sure my affinity to mythology has to do with your preference resulting in viewing more mythology driven films. However I am married to a "tween queen" so the Harry Potter's are favorites in our house.

One last note on Percy Jackson , I do think it was great for beginners of mythology. It effectively gave you a short history/lineage of the core figures.  It was just enough to entice viewers to want to learn more but not too much to forget. Because as interesting as the mythological world can be, it is just as daunting.